Friday, April 29, 2011

Texas Trip: Day 1 and 2

Dad and I headed to Texas yesterday.  Part of our journey took us through Arkansas, through parts of the state that were hit by the storms last week.  You would not believe the amounts of water we saw along the highway.  One exit was so deep in water that it reached the bottom of the directional signs.  In another area we saw a bus from a local correctional facility with about 30 inmates sandbagging along the highway so the water from the field wouldn't rise onto the highway.  It was so sad to see people's homes, like islands in the ocean, all their belongings gone in an instant.  It makes me grateful for the night the tornadoes passed through St. Louis and that I was safe and sound, damage free, with my babies enjoying milk and cookies.  Thank you Lord.

Once we got a little further south the devastation tapered off and it was a beautiful ride, 75 degrease and not a cloud in the sky.  We spent the night outside of Little Rock at a Hampton Inn.  We always stay at one of those or a Holiday Inn Express because we're rewards members and are able to get free rooms.  This hotel was by far one of the best (from this chain) that I've ever stayed at.  The room had a pretty large TV, a fridge and something I've never come across in a hotel before - a ceiling fan.  Luis would have loved it!  Gabe and I also enjoyed the pool for a bit.  In the morning they had a wonderful free hot breakfast with scrambled eggs with ham, home fries, french toast, make your own waffle and the rest of your basic continental breakfast.  It was a nice stay.  (Oh, and military discount on our room too!)

This morning we drove the rest of the way to a little town outside of Houston.  Along the route there were tons of antique shops.  I had to remind myself several times that it wasn't a good idea to stop to shop since the babies were already tired from our travels.  This second Hampton Inn, so far, is just as nice as the first, minus the spectacular ceiling fan.  We ate dinner at a not-so-decent catfish restaurant and tomorrow morning I really have my heart set on breakfast tacos, but we shall see.  I also got to shop at HEB.  That was truly the highlight of my trip so far.  I stocked up on my favorite salsa and fajita spices because if you didn't know, they don't sell fajita spices except in those little pouches up north.  Tragic, I know.

Tomorrow is a big day, full of more Texas fun, friends and a wedding that I know will be just beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment