Monday, April 11, 2011

'He's Deployed and I Don't Want to Do Anything' Blues

I am tired!  I really feel like I'm pregnant again on this deployment.  I can't sleep, I get tired just thinking about what I need to do and work just drags on and on.  I'm sure I'm just in a funk from both kids having problems with spring allergies and it gets to me too.  I also feel more emotional during deployments, much like a pregnant woman!  The littlest things can just hit a nerve and make me all emotional.  Today for instance I experienced one of those moments. 

I have a part-time job as a government contractor.  Basically whenever a military member does a move that the military pays for they are supposed to get a survey about their move experience and interaction with the vendors we utilize for movers.  Now if you think about how many times a member of the Armed Forces - all branches - moves, including reservists, that's a lot of moves.  We have four people in our small office that are supposed to call all of these people.  And, lets include that the systems we use to complete our work are government systems that are programmed with the government philosophy of 'hurry up and wait,' so, it can be a bit stressful to call the amount of people you need to call with technology working against you. 

Today I ran across a couple who we tried to reach and they asked that we call them back at 6:30 last week.  So, the person working called them back at 6:30, however she didn't take into account they lived on the west coast and the time difference.  So, needless to say the wife said it was too early to reach the service member and to call back at the requested time.  For whatever reason our employee didn't make the call.  So, today, in order to clear the call from the que I called the service member.  The service members wife was so rude to me because we failed to call her at the time requested she declined to complete the survey at all.  I mean we clearly made a mistake by not calling but is it really necessary to chew out the next person who is trying to do their job?!  I apologized and let it go. 

Not even ten minutes later I called a gentlemen who gave us his brothers number as a contact number.  (Granted, no where does it say it was his brother, we call as if it's the service member's number.)  This man proceeded to tell me that the service member was too busy and important for surveys and if I was really calling from the government I would have his personal line and it was a "nice try" in trying to get a hold of the service member and promptly hung up. 

I don't know why people are brave across a phone line and would talk and treat someone in that fashion.  At no time was I ever rude or pushy.  It really makes me think twice about how I handle people on the phone when they call me for whatever reason.  I know I shouldn't take it personal but I do.  The non-pregnant, deployment hormonal me does.  So, just a little reminder to be kind to the people you interact with.  You never know when you will make their day or bring them down with your simple words and tone.

And in other news Luis started his P90X workouts today.  He has really inspired me to really, really start getting back in shape and to my pre-baby weight.  So, because I need a little help, I got an herbal supplement to help me lose the weight.  I don't start taking them for another 3 days, based on the info they gave me, but I'm hoping they will help curve my appetite.  Also, she gave me something for more energy so I'm hoping that will over power these 'he's deployed and I don't want to do anything' blues I get from time to time.  (This week being one of those times...)  So, wish me luck.  My long-term goal is 75 lbs but I plan on taking small strides to get back to where I'd like to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment