Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Lonely Cinco de Mayo

It's been a hectic few days with traveling across country with two kiddos and a grandpa that complains the whole time.  I should already been sleeping, or trying too, but I've been on this computer for 2 hours and haven't really accomplished much.  I did, however, come across a few more blogs that intrigued me so I was lost in their thoughts.  I haven't had time to go through any of the pictures from our trip, but hopefully tomorrow I'll find time to get that done.  In the meantime, I have other thoughts on my mind.

Tonight I decided to go out with a friend and her boyfriend since I haven't taken the time to visit with her much since I moved back home.  Being Cinco de Mayo today we went to a local mexican restaurant, along with the rest of the city.  I was lucky enough to get the last parking spot and a table right away outside while my name was on the list.  So, I was comfy waiting for my friend to arrive.  Once she showed up it got a little chilly so we decided to get a table inside.  My name had already been called so the hostess said she would get us the next one available.  In the meantime, I stood inside waiting while my friend, her boyfriend and another friend of hers waited outside.  Within 10-15 minutes we had our table - a very cosy table in the corner.  We began to order our food and my friend decided she needed to be closer to the bar so she could get drinks cheaper or faster, I'm not sure which, so she went to see about switching tables.  She was gone about 10 minutes and then returned to say she had a table but we'd have to wait till our food was delivered before we could move since we had already placed the order at our current table.  So, her and the other friend left to hold the 3rd table of the night. 

So, there I was at dinner with my best friend's boyfriend.  I gathered up the courage to tell him how I felt.  I had left my kiddos to have dinner with her and catch up since we hadn't spent much time together and here we were at opposite ends of the restaurant.  Thankfully, he understood where I was coming from and it wasn't too much longer till the food arrived.  We carried our plates like staff all the way into the back of the restaurant into the room with the bar.  The music was so loud I couldn't even hear what anyone was saying.  Maybe I am getting old, but I was done.  I was ready to go.  I didn't want to stay all night and drink or yell across the table.  I finished my food, excused myself with the excuse of babies needing baths and work the next day and headed out the door. 

The worst part of the night was when I went to reach for my phone to call my husband and vent about how I just wanted to spend time with my friend over dinner and some drinks when it hit me - I have no one to call.  I have no one to let it all out to.  My best friend was behind me in the restaurant and my husband was half way across the world.  It was a lonely evening but tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. :( I'm sorry it wasn't a good day for you. I'm the exact same way too though. I don't even hardly drink anymore. The most you'll get me to drink is a margarita. I'm sure seeing your precious babies made you feel better though.

    ReplyDelete