Monday, May 16, 2011

Sleep Fairy, Where Are You?!

Caution: this post contains talk of bodily functions of a two-year old.  Consider yourself warned.

I think every deployment should come with a sleeping fairy.  It never fails that I can never sleep, despite how tired I am, once the kids go to sleep.  Tonight is no exception.

I was doing so well, I got The Boy in the bath early, Sissy and I even joined him.  Then, as he was brushing his teeth he found it funny to put the brush waaay back on his tongue.  Bad idea.  He throws up at the drop of a hat on a regular basis and it didn't take much to get him started.  He was more worried about his towel being dirty than anything else.  Once he was cleaned up (again) he was good to go.  He sat on the couch with his "bottle" (it's really just milk in a cup, but that's what he still calls it) and Sissy was playing with hers when he started burping.  He thought that was soo funny till he threw up all his milk.  And then, for good measure, threw up the rest of his food as Grandma and I carried him into the bathroom.  My poor boy. 

After another clean-up and tooth brushing he was back to normal and no wanting to sleep.  And then Sissy didn't want to sleep.  So we found ourselves in my bed watching TV and tickling each other.  It's such a warming feeling to see the baby laughing and cooing at her big brother.  And the smile on his face when he's playing with her melts my heart.  As much as I really need sleep and enjoy the quiet after the storm it's hard for me to pass up moments like these.  These are the moments, sans puke, that make being a mother totally worth every sacrifice of down time and sleep.  My only wish is that The Hubby could be here to savor the moment with me.  I am one day closer and nothing stops time from ticking.

No comments:

Post a Comment